How many times while reading the Bible did you ask yourself, »Why is the Bible so boring?«
Don’t worry about having a difficult time understanding the Bible. I assure you that you’re not alone.
Why Is the Bible So Boring? – 3 Reasons
Three main reasons, why the Bible is, in my opinion, hard to read and seems boring and unintelligible are as follows:
1. The Bible is an extensive and challenging book that differs from all of the other books. It consists of several scriptures, that are very different in the scope, purpose, and content. Therefore we must read them in a different way compared to the rest of the literature.
2. The Bible was put together in thousands of years. It was written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and ancient Greek language. It was meant for the people of that time. Expression in those languages is much different from today’s so it’s quite difficult to understand it.
3. The writers were inspired by God. As the God turned to a human in the Bible, he had to use the human language. The said language can’t accurately express and understand that God is like.
7 Tips For Better Understanding Of the Bible
Techniques and methods for reading the Bible are different. Described below is a way of reading that is closest to me personally. With it, I managed to make the reading of the Bible not boring anymore.
Pick up the Bible every day
Dedicate at least a small amount of time to reading the Bible every day. Adjust the length of the passage according to the time you’ll spend reading.
If you decide to read the Holy Scripture 20 minutes every day, you will be done reading through in a year. Read more here.
Before reading pray to the Holy Spirit for the proper understanding of the passage and to God for a blessing.
Discover the purpose of the passage
Discover the purpose of the book, from which you’re reading the passage. You must know if it comes from the New or Old Testament.
Is it a history book, wisdom book, letter to an individual or to a certain church…? Read the title of the book and look through the paragraphs before and after the passage, you’ll be reading.
Read the passage multiple times
First, discover its meaning and then look for the details. Try to understand, which message God is trying to give you through the passage.
What does it mean for you? Is it pointing out a certain mistake you made or a disadvantage, you have to change?
Choose a paragraph, that spoke to you the most
Write down the paragraph or a word, that spoke to you the most. Learn it by heart and repeat it all day.
Thank God for the things he showed to you in the passage and ask for God’s help to make the necessary changes.
Share and live
Share the things you discovered in the Bible. Talk about what you read to the people close to you. Try to live in the way that the passage taught you.
Do you think reading the Bible will still be boring with an approach like this?
The Bible contains many strong messages that can change your life, you just have to use it right. The most important thing is, to have the Bible in the reach of your palm all the time. Having multiple copies is not unnecessary as well.
The Bible shouldn’t simply be a bookshelf decoration. It must become a learning tool, where you underline things, make notes, write things down…
Buying a Bible is an investment, which will certainly pay off. There are more than 450 Bible translations into English. Most popular Catholic Bible translations are:
- Douai-Rheims Bible,
- New Revised Standard Version – Catholic Edition,
- New American Bible-Revised Edition,
- New Jerusalem Bible.
All of listed Catholic Bible translations are approved by Church authority.
Your comments and remarks are very welcome.